Believe it or not, Sex and Psychology turns 12 years old this week! When I first started blogging at the end of 2011, I had no idea where this journey would take me, but it sure has been fun! I am thrilled that Sex and Psychology has become a widely read and referenced resource on the science of sex, and I’m humbled by all of the opportunities that have emerged as a result of this blog. I didn’t have a grand vision for it when I started—it was just a fun little thing I did on the side as a college professor.
It all started when a few of my colleagues began a website on the science of relationships. They invited me to write a few blog posts, which is something I had never done before. I was kind of intimidated because, at that point, I was only used to writing dense scientific journal articles for an academic audience. I was not experienced with translating science for a broad audience, but I gave it a try and found that I really enjoyed it! Sex research was really where my passion was, though, so I decided to start my own platform where I could focus on the science of sex, and the blog was born!
Over the years, Sex and Psychology’s growth started leading to other opportunities to translate sex science, from newspaper and magazine writing to radio and television appearances to speaking gigs to consulting jobs with sexual health and wellness companies to my own podcast to a major book deal in Tell Me What You Want. Basically, everything I do now grew out of the blog. What was initially meant to be a fun side project eventually turned into a full-time career, which is why I ended up leaving academia in 2018 to start my own business. I still do academic work, but it’s now my side gig. Never expected that turn of events!
Thank YOU for your interest in the science of sex and everything you do to support this site, including reading and sharing the articles and podcast episodes, submitting your questions, and weighing in with your comments. I hope you’re all looking forward to another year of great sex [research] as much as I am! I have a lot of new and exciting developments in the pipeline that I can’t wait to share with you in 2024, but in the meantime, here are some fun facts and statistics for your reading pleasure:
- Current number of social media followers across all channels: 122,700+ (up about 14% from 2022). Each of my profiles offers something a little different, so if you’re only following one, you’re missing out! Please subscribe to me on YouTube for fun videos featuring sex facts and research, follow me on Twitter for a daily roundup of the latest sex news and research, and follow me on Instagram if you want fun sex quotes and to see what I’m up to when I’m not writing about sex!
- Most listened to episode of the podcast this year: Five Conversations That Will Transform Your Sex Life with Vanessa and Xander Marin
- More than 43 hours of new content were created for the Sex and Psychology Podcast this year
- Number of countries where episodes of the podcast were listened to this year: 110 (according to Spotify Unwrapped)
- Most read edition of Sex Question Friday in 2023: Why Do So Many Guys Like To Give Facials?
- Most read article on the blog in 2023: Fact Check: Are There Really Racial Differences In Penis Size?
- The Sex and Psychology Podcast reached the top 10 in Apple’s sexuality category in the USA, Canada, Australia, the UK, and multiple other countries around the world.
Thank you again for your continued support of the blog and podcast!
Want to learn more about Sex and Psychology? Click here for more from the blog or here to listen to the podcast. Follow Sex and Psychology on Facebook, Twitter (@JustinLehmiller), or Reddit to receive updates. You can also follow Dr. Lehmiller on YouTube and Instagram.
The post 12 Years of Great Sex: It’s the Twelfth Blogiversary of Sex and Psychology! appeared first on Sex and Psychology.
OMYSKY Piston Retractable Male Masturbator$89.90 Add to cart
Fleshlight | Quickshot Vantage | Adult Couples Sex Toy$34.95 Buy Now
Growth Surge Post Workout Muscle Builder with Creatine, Betaine, L-Carnitine L-Tartrate – Daily Muscle Building & Recovery Supplement – 30 Servings, Watermelon Flavor$39.99 Buy Now
Whey Protein Powder by Pure Protein, Gluten Free, Vanilla Cream, 1.75 Lbs$18.24 Buy Now