Build bigger arms with this four-part dumbbell biceps workout – do it as a standalone session, or at the end of an upper-body workout…
This dumbbell biceps workout was created by personal trainer and Men’s Fitness cover model Diego Carrete.
But first, a bit of science – because understanding the role of this important muscle will aid growth…
What is the biceps muscle?
Your biceps muscle – formally known as the biceps brachii – is found on the front of your upper arm. It is made of two parts: the long head and the short head.
The main action of this muscle is to flex the elbow joint, which happens every time bend your arm to bring your hands towards you body, such as during a biceps curl. Below the biceps is the brachialis, which helps in this movement.
The biceps is an antagonistic muscle, which means it works with another muscle – in this case, the triceps. As the biceps contracts, the triceps relaxes to allow the elbow to bend. When the reverse happens, the arm straightens.
Discover our pick of the best dumbbells for home workouts
How to do this dumbbell biceps workout:
- Perform the designated number of reps for each exercise.
- Note the maximum rest between exercises.
- Complete the designated number of sets, with minimal rest between sets.
- Seated hammer curl
- Preacher curl
- Inverted forearm curl
Keep reading for full instructions on how to perform each exercise in this dumbbell bicep workout…
1. Seated Dumbbell Hammer Curl
Rest: 60 secs
How to do a seated dumbbell hammer curl:
- Take a seat on a bench, holding the dumbbells in arms extended towards the floor, palms facing inwards.
- Bend your elbows and elevate your lower arms to draw the weights toward your shoulders. Your upper arms should be still, and your wrists aligned with your
- At the height of the movement, hold for one second. Your thumbs should be near your shoulders, and your palms facing the middle of your body.
- Return to the beginning position by lowering the weights.
2. Dumbbell Preacher Curl
Rest: 60 secs
How to do a dumbbell preacher curl:
- Grab a dumbbell and place your upper arm on top of the preacher bench or incline bench. Hold the dumbbell at shoulder height.
- As you inhale, slowly drop the dumbbell until your upper arm is fully extended and your biceps are fully stretched.
- As you exhale, curl the weight up with your biceps until they are fully clenched and the dumbbell is at shoulder height. Remember to bring that little finger higher than the thumb to guarantee full contraction.
- Squeeze the biceps firmly for a second in the contracted position, then repeat for the number of reps and sets prescribed.
- Repeat with your other arm.
3. Dumbbell 21s
Rest: 90 secs
How to do dumbbell 21s:
These are called ‘21s’ because you’re going to perform 7 reps in 3 different positions, all in one set. (Choose a fairly light weight – you’ll need it.)
- Stand holding a pair of dumbbells, palm facing forwards.
- Now curl them up, but stop once your forearms are parallel with the floor.
- Lower back down, then repeat that movement for a total of 7 reps.
- At the end of the last rep, curl the dumbbells all the way up.
- This time, instead of lowering straight down, you’re going to lower until your forearms are parallel again.
- Now curl the weights up to your shoulders once more and repeat for 7 reps in total.
- The final position is a full curl, so lower the weights all the way down, then curl them all the way up for a total of 7 reps.
4. Dumbbell Inverted Forearm Curl
Rest: 60 secs
How to do a dumbbell inverted forearm curl:
- Light weight, high reps is the aim here.
- Sit on the end of a bench, with a light dumbbell in one hand. Hold the dumbbell with knuckles facing upwards.
- Rest the arm with the dumbbell over the corresponding knee.
- From this position, let the weight bring your wrist down towards the ground.
- Now use your forearm muscle to raise the weight back up.
XTEND Sport BCAA Powder Blue Raspberry Ice$12.18 Buy Now
Muscle Milk Pro Advanced Nutrition Protein Shake$42.03 Buy Now
Muscle Milk Genuine Protein Shake, Vanilla Crème, 11 Fl Oz Carton, 12 Pack, 25g Protein, Zero Sugar, Calcium, Vitamins A, C & D, 5g Fiber, Energizing Snack, Workout Recovery, Packaging May Vary$0.18 Buy Now
Realistic Dildo by PaloquethBuy Now